About the creation of Eä (the World)Edit
"There was Eru, the One, who in Arda is called Ilúvatar; and he made first the Ainur, the Holy Ones"- Silmarillion:The Ainulindalë
In the beginning Eru Illuvatar, the One, who in the Elvish tongue is named Ilúvatar, made the Ainur of his thought; and they made a great Music before him. In this Music the World was begun; for Ilúvatar made visible the song of the Ainur, and they beheld it as a light in the darkness. And many among them became enamoured of its beauty, and of its history which they saw beginning and unfolding as in a vision. Therefore Ilúvatar gave to their vision Being, and set it amid the Void, and the Secret Fire was sent to burn at the heart of the World; and it was called Eä.
Those of the Ainur who desired it arose and entered into the World at the beginning of Time; and it was their task to achieve it, and by their labours to fulfil the vision which they had seen. Long they laboured in the regions of Eä, which are vast beyond the thought of Elves and Men, until in the time appointed was made Arda, the Kingdom of Earth. Then they put on the raiment of Earth and descended into it, and dwelt therein.
'The Great among these spirits the Elves name the Valar, the Powers of Arda, and the lower ones, their servants were Ma'iars.
Valinor is the home of the Valar and Maiar, located past the Sundering Sea and the Enchanted Isles, to the far west of Middle Earth.
In order of precedence:
- Manwe Sulimo, King of the Valar and Lord of the Winds (see Eagles of Manwe )
- Melkor (Morgoth), The original Dark Power in Middle Earth, and the most powerful of all Valar.
- Ulmo, King of the Sea
- Aule, the Smith, Lord of the Earth (shaper of Dwarves )
- Orome Aldaron, Lord of Forests
- Namo (Mandos), Judge of the Dead and Lord of the Hall of Mandos
- Irmo (Lorien), Lord of Dreams, Visions, and Desires
- Tulkas Astaldo, Champion of Valinor
In order of power:
- Varda Elentari, Queen of the Stars
- Yavanna Kementari, Giver of Fruits, spouse of AUle
- Nienna, Lady of Mercy
- Este the Gentle, Lady of Healing and Rest, spouse of Irmo
- Vaire the Weaver, spouse of Mandos
- Vana the Ever-young, Spouse of Orome
- Nessa the Dancer, spouse of Tulkas
Maiar are spirits who serve a Valar (or have been influenced by them)
- Eonwe, banner-bearer and herald of Manwe, greatest of arms, co-chief of the Maiar along with Ilmare
- Ilmare, handmaiden to Varda
- Osse, Guardian of the Seas of Middle Earth, servant of Ulmo
- Uinen, Lady of the Sea and wife of Osse
- Salmar, creator of the Ulumuri, which produced the music of the sea, servant of Ulmo
- Melian, Queen of Doriath, servant of Vana and Este, tender of the trees of the Garden of Irmo
- Arien, Guardian of the Sun, servant of Vana
- Tilion, Guardian of the Moon, hunter in the company of Orome
- Curumo or Curinir, later as Saruman , head of the Order of Wizards (Istari), and servant of Aule
- Olorin, later known as Gandalf and Mithrandir , wisest of the Istar, pupil of Nienna, Manwe, and Varda
- Aiwendil, later known as Radagast , Guardian of the Great Forests in Middle Earth, servant of Yavanna, an Istar
- Morinhehtar, later known as Alatar , Protector of the Peace in the Eastern Realms, one of the Blue Wizards, servant of Orome, Istar
- Romestamo, later known as Pallando , Protector of the Peace in the Eastern Realms, one of the Blue Wizards, servant of Orome, Istar
- Sauron , servant of Morgoth, forger of the One Ring, Lord of Mordor, Enemy of the Free Peoples of Middle Earth during the Second and Third Ages.
- Gothmog, the greatest of all Balrogs, Lord of the Balrogs, and servant to Morgoth.
- Durin's Bane, servant of Melkor, flame of Udun, a Balrog
- Ungoliant, Spider of Night, ally of Melkor, mother of Shelob, first Spider of Mirkwood
Maiar and Valar on the ServerEdit
See RP Rank
See Staff Members